CLIFTON HILL HOUSE
Conversion of single fronted detached terrace house to light filled three bedroom home that opens up to the garden and north east light.
Stage: Planning permit obtained.
Challenges & Solutions:
- Heritage & Planning Controls (prominent corner block) - first floor extension concealed from main street by existing parapet, contrasting but sympathetic material used on extension, worked with heights of existing parapet wall, landscaping used to reduce visual bulk, terraced roof form reduced amenity impacts to neighbours and streescape
- Small site meant minimal opportunities for landscaping - pergola creates vertical landscaping, planter boxes to first floor, vertical vegie garden maximises use of space
- Small block and house - flexibile multi-function spaces incorporated, in-built joinery efficiently uses floor area, high ceilings and blurred indoor/outdoor transitions optically expand spaces outdoors
- Poor cross ventilation - southern louvers capture breezes, clerestorey windows provide displacement ventilation, opposable windows provide cross ventilation
- Budget - retention of existing building fabric minimised costs
- Environmentally conscious client - solar panels, heat pump, high efficiency reverse cycle AC and ceiling fans, below ground water tank, kitchen garden for vegies and herbs
- Storage (small house and yard) - storage integrated throughout house, clever external storage occupies minimal space, access to roof storage through robe